I am working on a 2D Platformer in Unity5 utilizing TileMap techniques. I have a working system to read "Room Tile Data" from
JSON files with the Unity
TextAsset Class and the Newtonsoft JSON.Net library. My level files are within a folder inside of the Resources Directory and the
Resources.Load is working on the json files with and without their
.json file extension.
FileName = "MapFiles/room_three"; TextAsset mapDataFile = Resources.Load(FileName) as TextAsset; string text = mapDataFile.text; Map thisLevel = new Map(); thisLevel = JsonConvert.DeserializeObject<Map>(text);
This works in the standalone builds for win + mac as well as in the Unity Editor. But a unity Web player Build entirely fails to load the TextAsset and my characters are left falling endlessly.
The only error I receive is a reference to
mapDataFile.text being null. Leading me to believe my
TextAsset is failing to load from the web player. The documentation says nothing I could find about using the
TextAsset differently in the web player. Is there a different technique I must use to solve this issue for the Web Player? I'm certain I could change things to grab files on the web using
WWW, but I want this data to be loaded from within the application.
Thanks in advance!
- Created a public property for the
TextAssetand drag dropped the file into it. Still fails to load from the web player and worked in the standalones + editor. Assuming this means we can rule out
Resources.Loadas our culprit.
- Tried the same functionality with
Resources.LoadAssetAtPathwhich was only intended for use in the editor. When running this in the web player I received a similar verbose message. Nothing like this appears with
- Updated "sample code" containing
FilePathvariable with file path string value being used in my application
- Tested web player in FireFox / Chrome / Safari on Mac OSX 10.8 Yosemite
- Pursued a potential cause found here: LINK TO ARTICLE I copied this technique implementing a scene 0 menu and the problem persisted with a weird flickering in Scene 0
- Deleted Project "Library", "Temp" & "Project Settings" directories and let them be regenerated in conjunction with a few of these other attempts for good measure. Also removed / regenerated user preferences
- Ran a "Reimport All" Assets by unity, Unsuccessful.
- For posterity, I tried "Turning it Off and On Again" (Rebooting my Machine)
- Uninstalled and Reinstalled newest Unity WebPlayer, unsuccessful.