I'm implementing a turn based game where players can meet other players in matches via Apple Game Center. Each match has two players.
I want to make a global ranking of all players using Apple Game Center. This ranking serves two purposes:
- each player will know his/hers ranking.
- a player can be matched to another player with a similar skill.
My current thinking is something like this:
- A win gives +1 points
- A lose gives -1 points
- An aborted match, or not accepting a match gives -1 points.
- 0 is the minimum score.
- The leaderboard will present the score of each player.
- Players will be placed in groups according to their score. Each group can cover a range of scores, and players will be matched with players from the same group.
I have the following questions:
- Do you like my suggested scoring solution?
- Is it possible to accomplish an effective match making with this approach? I mean, some groups can have very few participants. Maybe only one. Of cause you can try to do a match making with a lower group, but that can also be empty, and it will take time. How shall I solve this?
- I've not released the game, and I don't know how many players it will have. Is it possible to make the grouping dynamic in some way? More players requires more groups.
- Is it possible to make players that does not accept matches to lose points? I only want to have active players in top of the ladder.
So far I've only found this input: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/9355799/can-i-make-a-ladder-systemlike-battle-net-with-using-just-game-center