I just finished doing a major upgrade for a old mobile title, that haven't seen an update in over a year. Lots of new content, things are looking nice.
Sadly, these days it takes an average of 12 days to get the update through the iTunes approval tube, but less than 2 hours to throw it live right away on Google Play.
If i put the version up now, i can hit the autumn vacation period on android at least, and iOS people will have to wait till their version has been approved.
But I hear from other studios that they wait and launch both updates at the same time, to reach a socalled "synergy effect", since (as I understand it) attention to the update spills over to the mirrored platform.
But... I am simply skeptical on this. Is this effect really so strong, that you would postpone launches for weeks ? And googling for a bit, I'm having a hard time finding any numbers that can back this strategy up.
To put it more direct : Is holding back a app launch till all platforms are in sync really "worth it" ?
Ofcouse I will hold back my PR-horses till the upgrade is ready for both platforms, but is it really that bad to do a "premature" launch of an app on one platform ?
If anyone can back this strategy up with more than just a gut feeling (numbers and charts are always great) I am all ears. I'm not doing anything to my app untill I have some solid intel on these upgrade strategies.
PS: I am aware the same method is being used on initial app launch, where in a way it makes more sense to me. If you have any data on how strong the benefit of this strategy is there, I'm all ears too.