I have played a few NES ROMs where people have gone into them and changed the sprites. How did they do this?

I'd like to do this for the Double Dragon ROM. How can I accomplish that?

  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Narrow the scope of your question. You're asking for software to create a mod, how to create a mod in general and what the legality is. Tell us what you've done already and what's not working. Starting from zero is a really broad way to ask a question. \$\endgroup\$
    – House
    Apr 12, 2014 at 17:03
  • \$\begingroup\$ I am at zero right now. I have no experience with modding, but I have done plenty of photo editing. I'm guessing I just need a program to unpack the images from an existing mod, and then re-pack them after the edits are done. \$\endgroup\$
    – Hoytman
    Apr 12, 2014 at 17:09
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Not all cartridges used the same format for storing image data. What game are you trying to mod? \$\endgroup\$
    – user1430
    Apr 12, 2014 at 17:18
  • \$\begingroup\$ Simpsons Double dragon \$\endgroup\$
    – Hoytman
    Apr 12, 2014 at 17:36
  • \$\begingroup\$ Check out these utilities: zophar.net/utilities/nesgraph.html \$\endgroup\$ Apr 12, 2014 at 19:01

1 Answer 1


Just to extract an answer from the comments:

Zophars Domain shows you a list of tools that you can use for NES ROMs including Graphics Extractor and Inserter which allows you to extract and insert tile graphics from the ROM.

To use this you need the Extractor executable and the Inserter. Use the extractor to get the tiles first, edit them in your editor of choice (MS Paint ftw) and then use the inserter to pop them back into the ROM. Make sure you create a backup in-case it corrupts the ROM image.


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .