I'm currently creating an engine trying to auto-play games with a chess board, and I'm writing a report about it now.

However, I found it hard to properly describe it -- for the games like Candy Crush, which has a game board, filled with "candies," and a few rules.. is there a formal classification for it?

Is "board-game" a proper name? What about "rectangle-tile game", or "chessboard-based game?"

  • \$\begingroup\$ Most of those types of games are called Puzzle Games. But that's maybe to general for what you want? \$\endgroup\$ – Dries Mar 30 '14 at 10:00

Games like Candy Crush are called "Match-three" games, and generally, it and games like it are tile-based games, or board games, or even tile-based board games.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.