What are the minimum hardware / driver requirements for running a Monogame 3.x game, on each of the various Operating Systems?
For the upcoming MonoGame SDL2 version; https://github.com/flibitijibibo/MonoGame
The SDL2 version is currently not slated to replace the Linux, Mac & GL solutions but when i asked the Dev he replied with "I hope so." I also asked him about shader versions;
As MonoGame runs on XP i'd assume that the D3D shader model requirement would be 3.0 (i.e. DirectX 9.0c). I feel it is also safe to assume then that the current MonoGame ports require GL 2.1 without ARB extensions. Which my laptop must lack.
My laptop for reference is running with an Intel Celeron processor with Mobile Intel® GMA 4500M for graphics (Which i believe has OpenGL 2.0/2.1) and that is currently on Linux(Before I changed it to running Linux I was running windows 7 and the WindowsGL solution would work perfectly fine).
This article on Gamasutra also provides more information on software requirements;
For Windows desktop, you can use VS 2010 Express or higher, or VS 2012 Express for Desktop or higher on Windows 7 or 8.
For Windows Store, you will need VS 2012 Express for Windows 8 or higher on Windows 8.
For Windows Phone 8, you will need Windows 8 64-bit and the Windows Phone 8 SDK. This will install VS 2012 Express for Windows Phone, and can also work with VS 2012 Professional or higher.
To use the Windows Phone 8 emulator, your PC needs to meet specific hardware requirements; see www.microsoft.com/en-GB/download/details.aspx?id=35471 for details.
For Android and/or iOS, you will need VS 2010 or 2012 Professional or higher and Xamarin Business or higher on Windows 7 or 8.
Okay I'll start the wiki.
iOS, Android, Windows (both OpenGL and DirectX), Mac OS X, Linux, Windows 8 Store, Windows Phone 8, PlayStation Mobile, and the OUYA console.
- OpenTK - http://www.opentk.com
- OpenAL - http://connect.creativelabs.com/openal/Downloads/oalinst.zip
Platform Specific Requirements
- iOS - OpenGL ES
- Android - OpenGL ES
- Windows (OpenGL) - OpenGL
- Windows (DirectX) - DirectX
- Mac OS X - OpenGL
- Linux - OpenGL
- Windows 8 Store - DirectX
- Windows Phone 8 - DirectX
- PlayStation Mobile - ?
- OUYA - OpenGL ES
Reference: Project files https://github.com/mono/MonoGame/tree/develop/MonoGame.Framework
The following are the system requirements for building content for all MonoGame target platforms:
- Windows XP w/SP2, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8.
- Visual C# 2010 Express or Pro with SP1 installed.
- Windows Phone SDK 7.1 (NOTE: Ensure that you install the Windows Phone SDK 7.1.1 Update shown below.)
- Windows Phone SDK 7.1.1 (older XNA versions do not work!)
At this time MonoGame does not include an independent implementation of the XNA content pipeline. We depend on Microsoft's XNA content pipeline implementation and Visual Studio 2010 on Windows to build content for all MonoGame platforms.
I asked the question over on the Monogame forums, this is the list that came from that:
- Windows Phone 8: No restrictions. Will run on all Windows Phone 8 devices.
- Windows Store: No restrictions. Same requirements as you you needed to meet to install Windows 8 on that PC.
- Windows desktop (OpenGL): I think OpenGL 3.0 is the minimum for graphics, plus OpenAL for audio.
- Windows desktop (DirectX): DirectX 11 installed.
- Android: Android 2.3 minimum.
- iOS: I think iOS 4.0 is the minimum.
- Mac OS X: Should run on all recent and current Mac OS X hardware.
- Linux: OpenGL 3.0 driver support, I think there's some other required packages such as libsdlmixer, etc.
.NET 4.0/4.5 installed
.NET 4.0/4.5 installed
No dependancies (DirectX11 + .NET 4.5 already comes with OS)
However, that being said, it really depends on how memory intensive your game is. If it's a game with a lot of models, sprites etc. then you're going to need more RAM. A normal game needs about 2-4 GB of RAM, with a decent processor and a 64-bit OS.