I'm trying to remember the English name for a memory model of a map built exclusively for handling collision detection. I think this is especially frequent in tile-based platform games.

I believe the Spanish term for it is "Mapa de durezas".

If you have a Super Mario tilemap like this:

    C     +        'P' = Pipe
         +++       '+' = Brick
        +++++      '@' = Ground
   P   +++++++     'C' = Cloud
 @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@  ' ' = Air

Then the <ENGLISH EXPRESSION THAT I'M LOOKING FOR> of that map would be:

          *       '*' = Solid
         ***      ' ' = Traversable
   *   *******

Any clues?


The term you are looking for may be "collision map".

  • \$\begingroup\$ I was about to answer 'collision layer', then realised it's the same as this. \$\endgroup\$ Nov 27 '10 at 14:49
  • \$\begingroup\$ For future reference, a more common term IMO is a Collision Hull. \$\endgroup\$ Jun 24 '12 at 5:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.