There is a sound typically associated with a bright flash of light, which starts with a lower whirring noise, then breaks into a higher pitched sound. What is that type of sound called? I'm not sure how to begin searching for that, so a typical name for it would be very helpful.

It's something similar to what occurs at 0:41 in this youtube video (here's a link to a few seconds beforehand), where Naruto 6 tails transforms into Kyuubei in Naruto Generations.

  • 2
    \$\begingroup\$ Could you show us a youtube video which has this sound effect and what time it occurs, or relate to us a game that has this sound effect and at what point it occurs (e.g. the noise of a flashbang, etc)? \$\endgroup\$ – doppelgreener Sep 25 '12 at 4:15
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ A klaxon alarm? youtube.com/watch?v=TGloWW0-XkE \$\endgroup\$ – ClassicThunder Sep 25 '12 at 4:22
  • \$\begingroup\$ Thanks for that! Good question, too! Do you mean from the instant the screen blurs (and just before we see his eyes) to the explosion? It might not actually have a specific name, but it could fit into a more general category which does have a name. \$\endgroup\$ – doppelgreener Sep 25 '12 at 4:44
  • 13
    \$\begingroup\$ Honestly, unless it's a found sound, something you'd hear in real life, sound designers tend to speak to each other using terms like, "whoOOOoooOOooozzsshshsshWEEEEEING!" \$\endgroup\$ – michael.bartnett Sep 25 '12 at 5:12
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ @michael.bartnett Fibericon, what he says is the truth. My ex is a foley artist and laments that one of the worst parts of the job is the lack of searchability due to sounds not having a real descriptive vocabulary. The closest you can get is using musical terms for note texture along with ADSR. It is a mess. \$\endgroup\$ – DampeS8N Sep 26 '12 at 12:36

Don't really think there's a name for either the "blue chakra rising" or the "zoom in on eyes" effect. From what I can tell, the first is a waveform (maybe saw or triangle) that has a high pass filter with the cutoff frequency being swept up.

The second sounds like it uses a multi oscillator with a triangle/saw waveform and a noise wave which again uses a high pass filter with the cutoff frequency being swept up. The noise wave creates the sort of "whoosh" windy sound.

I am by no means an expert, but that's what it sounds like just for starters (along with a bunch of other effects, reverb, compression etc).

To demonstrate this go here: http://www.bfxr.net/

Change the wave to saw or triangle, set the "frequency" to low, the "frequency cutoff" all the way to the left and slowly increase the "frequency slide" towards the right.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Not only is that a good set of instructions for recreating the sound, that's an excellent resource! \$\endgroup\$ – Fibericon Sep 26 '12 at 3:07

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.