Here's what I'd like to achieve:
- Rendering a first pass of objects in my scene, using standard depth comparison
- Rendering another pass of objects in the same scene, but with the following rules:
- A Pixel of the 2nd pass always override the first pass (no depth compare between them)
- Use Depth comparison between pixels written from the second pass.
In English I want depth comparison made inside each pass but I always want the second pass pixels to override the first pass ones.
Some things I've thought:
- I tried to think about using stencil to solve this, but I couldn't find a way.
- I know I could render into a separate target the second pass then composite the result into the first, but I'd like to avoid that.
- I could use two separate Depth Buffer, one dedicated to each pass. (I never tried, but I figure it's possible to switch the depth buffer in a Render Target "on the fly")
Any idea of the best solution?