I know they digitized actors but how can I get those same results? How to take a photo or video of someone and digitize it for a 2D game? Digitized sprites were used in several video games through the 90s but fell out of favor when textured 3D graphics became more common. What technology is used today for creating MK1 realism?
Here's a link to the Making of Mortál Szombat: http://openmortal.sourceforge.net/making.html
It probably is just a lot of time put into it. Some wild idea:
- Record with a static camera in a green chroma.
- Convert or output the video frames to images.
- Take around 15 frames per every second for each "movement" and discard the rest.
- Photoshop time! Remove the green chroma manually using magic tool, and clean the sprites.
- Prepare and use them for your animations.
I'm not big in video/image edition but maybe there is a filter or program that can automatize transforming the green background into transparent, bitwise is only transforming the uniform chroma color 0x00FF00FF into 0x00000000, or even just remove the alpha bits.