In a game like a simple adventure or a room escape game, I would like to know if there are established algorithms to check for simple constraints on the layout.
I would like some pointers so I could do my own research, or on the algorithms or on this kind of problems.
In a simplified case, if we guess the game is 2D, and the environment is the classic grid N x M, where a cell can be an empty place, a wall or a door, there could be these requirements:
- every room must be a rectangle
- every room must have a door at least
- every room must be reachable from any other (aside the possibile locked doors)
- all the rooms must be connected, so no disjoint groups of rooms
- all the walls must be thick only one cell
I know this sound strange because if I design my own game with few room obviously it's possible check with bare eye if everything is ok in the map. But I like the theory side of the things.