Errors in macro syntax causes the module's build to hang for 2+ hours (possibly, indefinitely) with no indication of a build error.
Steps to Reproduce
- Create a template game project in the editor.
- Introduce the following macro into some C++ code:
UE_LOG(LogTemp, WrongVerbosityTypeHere, TEXT("Some Text Here"));
Trigger a module-only build e.g. right-click project > Build.
Look for the following in the build output:
1>Using Visual Studio 2019 14.28.29335 toolchain (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.28.29333) and Windows 10.0.18362.0 SDK (C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10). 1>Building 4 actions with 32 processes...
The message should stay the same for 2+ hours. So wait for that long or until you feel something is wrong...
Remove or correct the macro usage with something like the following:
UE_LOG(LogTemp, Log, TEXT("Some Text Here"));
Trigger module-only build.
Build completes in seconds.
- Windows 10 (Version 10.0.19042 Build 19042)
- Visual Studio Community 2019 (Version 16.8.3)
- Unread Editor 4.26 (Version 4.26.0-0+++UE4+Release-4.26)
- Is this a known bug?
- If not, is there a configuration in UBT via Visual Studio or in the terminal to report errors quickly?