For simple games, is there a de-facto standard that game over screens time out after a few seconds before, or require some sort of input in order to, transition back to the main menu?
- Accessibility. Mobility-impaired users may have difficulty pushing the buttons so the game should advance for them.
- Accessibility. Vision-impaired users may have difficulty seeing any post-game information displayed within the allotted time.
- Tweaking the time-out so it's not too long as to be annoying if the user happens to game over a lot. Also: "Don't make QA mad"
- Accessibility. Vision-impaired users may take as long as needed to see any post-game information displayed on screen.
- Makes time-outs skippable.
- Accessibility. Motor-impaired users may have difficulty pushing buttons.
I remember reading a Microsoft article about certain best practice design decisions regarding accessibility a long time ago but can't recall the specifics.