For a multiplayer building/crafting game like Hurtworld (where the player can build structures on the map), what are some alternative options or example data structures for saving the world data on the server?
Level data including:
- Grid of squares that foundations can be built on, with a flag to indicate whether the square is empty or already has a foundation
- Walls etc which have been built on the foundations, and multiple floors above
- Windows/doors which can be built on window frames/door frames
- Furniture/machines which can be placed on foundations/floors
- Other dynamic world data such as trees, animals, chests with items, etc
I feel like it's too much data to store in a database. Am I wrong?
If it can be stored in a database, how can I get my head around the data structure I would need to set up? Is there some simplified example?
Can each square in the world grid be represented by 1 row in the database? And should there be a new row for each structure built on a square, with that row referencing the square/structure that it was built on?