This had a strange term but I can't remember what it's called and it's difficult to search for.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Is it called Red Haze perhaps? forum.unity.com/threads/… \$\endgroup\$
    – Bram
    Feb 14 '19 at 1:25
  • \$\begingroup\$ I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because I don't think there's actually a well-accepted common term for this. \$\endgroup\$
    – Almo
    Feb 14 '19 at 3:15
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ @Almo that seems to me to be a reason to answer "there isn't one" - ideally citing conflicting examples to demonstrate the lack of consensus - rather than a reason to close the question. \$\endgroup\$
    – DMGregory
    Feb 14 '19 at 4:33

At our studio (Ubisoft Toronto) we usually call it a (low) health vignette.

A vignette in photography & film refers to an effect around the edges of the frame (usually a darkening or defocus) like this:

Example of a darkening vignette

By attaching modifiers to it like "low health" or "super" etc. we express "that effect at the edges of your screen when you're in the ______ state"

Here are some sources that also call it a health vignette:

If it's particularly intrusive into the middle of the frame, we call it "strawberry jam" ;)

  • \$\begingroup\$ Vignette is 1000% exactly the word I wanted. As far as it not being a well-accepted term, I disagree. I believe this to be the correct term, not just due to its frequency of use, but its grounding as a more generic term (e.g. in photography). Many terms used in specific fields are derived from the related fields that precede them (like "vignette" in photography, as mentioned). \$\endgroup\$
    – user124892
    Feb 14 '19 at 4:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.