I'm currently building a world war game with a timeline between the first world war up to current days. In the game there will be many fighting units with a diversified range of classes and sub-classes. Also there will be around 5 to 6 resources where the player will have to manage because every equipment will have a different trend on cost. Some examples that I have in mind for resources:
- Money (Main resource. Used to build buildings and fund researches);
- Manpower (Used mainly to make disposable infantry units);
- Steel (Used everywhere in fighting units. Used a lot in armored units);
- Oil (The heavier, the costlier);
- Rare Materials (Used in... I'm not really sure where);
- Electronics (Used in modern units);
Here are some examples of fighting units:
- Early Anti-Tank Gun
- Class: Anti-Tank
- Sub-class: Stationary
- Self-propelled artillery
- Class: Artillery
- Sub-class: Self-propelled
- Motorized Rocket artillery
- Class: Rocket Artillery
- Sub-class: Motorized
- Machine Gun
- Class: Infantry
- Sub-class: Machine Gun
And I'm currently facing two problems:
- There will be many fighting units and as time passes the player will have to retire some of its older equipment. And the problem is that warfare and the purpose for each war equipment changes through time, so: how do I classify all these fighting units from a very broad timeline?
- Also I'm trying to make the player have a very balanced army. If he decides to go full on planes he will soon lack some resource that is crucial to building planes. Or if he spams cheap infantry he will run out of manpower, so: How do I balance the player resources? Which ones should I use? (This can also be manipulated so that in the future I can have a world map where the player plays as a certain country that has a higher production of a given resource in a way that he can play/is forced to play with a certain army configuration)
I'm currently making this system of units and resources to later have many playing modes like world conquest, survive waves of incoming enemy units, missions with rewards, and many others.
This is my very first game that is more than a couple of source files long and that will probably require a lot more thinking than coding at first. I'm currently very lost. I feel like if I go head-on making the game and the user interface I will eventually hit a wall because "I haven't thought enough" about how the game mechanics.
The battle mechanics is almost done. If needed, I can describe it how it is, but think of it as a very simple one, like machine guns and artillery are good against infantry, anti-tank... well..., planes are good against bombers, CAS against land units and so on. Also there will be ships and submarines...