I´m developing a VR project in Unity Engine and I need to implement a Rain Effect. I have considered the following:
- A VR game must run at least 90 frames per second.
- The Rain must be detailed.
- The Rain Drops interact with other objects.
These are the approaches I have considered:
- Particles Systems: I think it is expensive since there are two cameras rendering the scene and checking collision per particle could be expensive.
- Image Effect on the canvas: I think the result would be unreal, and there would not be interaction with other objects.
I have seen examples of rain effect like in Resident Evil 4, Halo Reach, Crysis, FarCry, Project Cars 2 VR and Batman Arkham Knight.
A last approach I haven´t considered yet is by shading, maybe shading would work for the rain drops in the cameras´ lens.
I would like to know optimal approaches to emulate rain effects without making too much computations.
Thanks for your attention.