How do you call the concept or the process of designing sprites in 2d graphics program, assembling them in that program and exporting them for your game?

I need that kind of program but I can't think of the correct terminology to search for it.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Hey, welcome to gamedev.se! Sorry, I butchered your question: asking for programs that does X or Z is off-topic here (i.e. "What technology to use"), but you can ask about the terminology that would help you find more about it, I reworded the question that way. \$\endgroup\$ – Vaillancourt Mar 22 '18 at 14:25
  • \$\begingroup\$ It really depends on how you plan to make the game. I never knew this was a thing (unless you are referring to level editors that are included in game engines). If you make a game with opengl for example, you can create a level with a graphics program like Gimp or Photoshop. \$\endgroup\$ – TomTsagk Mar 22 '18 at 15:44

It sounds like what are looking for is a level editor (or map editor). There are various kinds of level editing tools; we often qualify them by the type of data they edit.

For example you’re probably looking for (based on some info that was edited out of the question) a tile-based or tile map editor such as Tiled.

Also note that you don't need a level editor, necessarily. Plenty of people make tile-based games just using text editors to define the level data (using characters: # represents a wall, . a floor, S a character spawn, or whatever).


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.