So I am developing a game and trying to find one of those to use, but I don't know what to search for. If you don't know what I am taking about, look at these examples:

enter image description here

enter image description here

enter image description here

What are these called?

  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Someone protected this so I can't post an answer. But an older term that refers specifically to dots on gunsights is Tommy Dot. This probably won't help you though, because I doubt many video game designers use the term. \$\endgroup\$
    – Steve Cox
    Commented Nov 15, 2017 at 15:31
  • 3
    \$\begingroup\$ Why was this protected? It feels a little odd that the presence of a single mediocre answer was enough to protect a question... \$\endgroup\$ Commented Nov 16, 2017 at 3:00
  • \$\begingroup\$ The pew pew hole \$\endgroup\$
    – Michael M
    Commented Nov 16, 2017 at 19:26

3 Answers 3


"Crosshairs" or an "aiming reticle," usually. Probably also "aiming dot" and similar variations.

  • 14
    \$\begingroup\$ Also spelled "reticule" (which, by delightful coincidence, also means a small ladies' handbag). \$\endgroup\$ Commented Nov 14, 2017 at 14:11
  • \$\begingroup\$ I've also seen the term "boresight" used for this \$\endgroup\$
    – Tristan
    Commented Nov 14, 2017 at 18:16
  • \$\begingroup\$ Also "targeting reticle". \$\endgroup\$
    – Klaws
    Commented Nov 17, 2017 at 17:11
  • \$\begingroup\$ I'm used to use 'crosshair' myself. But didn't knew that it's actually a subterm of the 'reticle'. interesting to know. \$\endgroup\$
    – Steven
    Commented Nov 22, 2017 at 12:16

In addition to what Josh Petrie mentioned: if you're looking for more advanced ways to aim weapons, the center dot in your bottom image is also called a "pipper" in real-life applications.

This especially applies when some device is actively predicting where an arcing projectile will impact, like a bomb or grenade, instead of simply showing which direction it will go when fired/thrown/dropped.

Aircraft HUDs combine pippers and reticles to convey extra information about complicated firing solutions, as shown in this example:

Continuously Computed Impact Point Reticle Continuously Computed Impact Point Reticle

So in your third image, the circular arcs are the reticle, while the center dot is the pipper.


That's usually called a crosshair. Also they're probably the easiest texture to make yourself, you don't need to find one online.

  • 11
    \$\begingroup\$ This adds nothing to the answers already posted. \$\endgroup\$
    – Charanor
    Commented Nov 15, 2017 at 14:13
  • \$\begingroup\$ It's simpler. Some of the other answers contained more information than requested, which could be confusing to readers. This answer only answers the question directly. \$\endgroup\$ Commented Nov 15, 2017 at 16:51
  • 5
    \$\begingroup\$ Please tell me how you answer is simpler than Josh Petrie's answer? It even contains more characters. \$\endgroup\$
    – Charanor
    Commented Nov 15, 2017 at 17:30
  • 2
    \$\begingroup\$ This is a place to come to be informed. Dumbing down answers to provide one interpretation of what you believe to be the "better" answer completely misses the point. \$\endgroup\$
    – user39686
    Commented Nov 15, 2017 at 22:59
  • 2
    \$\begingroup\$ ... and if one is confused by the fact that more than one term exists that refers to the same thing, and the presence of a link, I'd imagine that person would have a couple more important issues to worry about. \$\endgroup\$
    – Kroltan
    Commented Nov 16, 2017 at 13:21

You must log in to answer this question.