So I am developing a game and trying to find one of those to use, but I don't know what to search for. If you don't know what I am taking about, look at these examples:

enter image description here

enter image description here

enter image description here

What are these called?

  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Someone protected this so I can't post an answer. But an older term that refers specifically to dots on gunsights is Tommy Dot. This probably won't help you though, because I doubt many video game designers use the term. \$\endgroup\$ – Steve Cox Nov 15 '17 at 15:31
  • 3
    \$\begingroup\$ Why was this protected? It feels a little odd that the presence of a single mediocre answer was enough to protect a question... \$\endgroup\$ – Steven Stadnicki Nov 16 '17 at 3:00
  • \$\begingroup\$ The pew pew hole \$\endgroup\$ – MikeM Nov 16 '17 at 19:26

"Crosshairs" or an "aiming reticle," usually. Probably also "aiming dot" and similar variations.

  • 14
    \$\begingroup\$ Also spelled "reticule" (which, by delightful coincidence, also means a small ladies' handbag). \$\endgroup\$ – David Richerby Nov 14 '17 at 14:11
  • \$\begingroup\$ I've also seen the term "boresight" used for this \$\endgroup\$ – Tristan Nov 14 '17 at 18:16
  • \$\begingroup\$ Also "targeting reticle". \$\endgroup\$ – Klaws Nov 17 '17 at 17:11
  • \$\begingroup\$ I'm used to use 'crosshair' myself. But didn't knew that it's actually a subterm of the 'reticle'. interesting to know. \$\endgroup\$ – Steven Nov 22 '17 at 12:16

In addition to what Josh Petrie mentioned: if you're looking for more advanced ways to aim weapons, the center dot in your bottom image is also called a "pipper" in real-life applications.

This especially applies when some device is actively predicting where an arcing projectile will impact, like a bomb or grenade, instead of simply showing which direction it will go when fired/thrown/dropped.

Aircraft HUDs combine pippers and reticles to convey extra information about complicated firing solutions, as shown in this example:

Continuously Computed Impact Point Reticle Continuously Computed Impact Point Reticle

So in your third image, the circular arcs are the reticle, while the center dot is the pipper.


That's usually called a crosshair. Also they're probably the easiest texture to make yourself, you don't need to find one online.

  • 10
    \$\begingroup\$ This adds nothing to the answers already posted. \$\endgroup\$ – Charanor Nov 15 '17 at 14:13
  • \$\begingroup\$ It's simpler. Some of the other answers contained more information than requested, which could be confusing to readers. This answer only answers the question directly. \$\endgroup\$ – Micheal Johnson Nov 15 '17 at 16:51
  • 5
    \$\begingroup\$ Please tell me how you answer is simpler than Josh Petrie's answer? It even contains more characters. \$\endgroup\$ – Charanor Nov 15 '17 at 17:30
  • 2
    \$\begingroup\$ This is a place to come to be informed. Dumbing down answers to provide one interpretation of what you believe to be the "better" answer completely misses the point. \$\endgroup\$ – user39686 Nov 15 '17 at 22:59
  • 2
    \$\begingroup\$ ... and if one is confused by the fact that more than one term exists that refers to the same thing, and the presence of a link, I'd imagine that person would have a couple more important issues to worry about. \$\endgroup\$ – Kroltan Nov 16 '17 at 13:21

protected by Josh Nov 14 '17 at 17:25

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?