Recently I tried to compile and run the source code of Quake 3 engine. I basically followed this article. However it doesn't work for me.
I am using Visual Studio 2010 on Windows 7, with June 2010 DirectX SDK (I doubt if it is necessary). Here is how I did:
- Install the original version of Quake 3 Arena to "D:\Quake III Arena", and update to 1.32
- Download and extract the source code
code" folder. Visual Studio upgraded it to 2010 format.
- Build all the 8 projects in Debug mode (in some order). I checked that every project had been built successfully
- In the properties of quake3 project, in Debugging page, I changed "Working Directory" to "
$(TargetDir)" and "Command Arguments" to "
+set fs_cdpath "D:\Quake III Arena""
- Set quake3 as the Startup Project and press F5
The game started and could correctly recognize the game folder and parse some options, such as screen resolution. However an exception window popped out before I can see the game main menu, saying "Unhandled exception at 0x053e9938 in quake3.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation."
I tried to start the game from command line, but it had the same problem.
I followed the code and found that the exception was generated in
int VM_CallCompiled(vm_t *vm, int *args), when executing
call entryPoint in the
__asm block, located in line 1148 of vm_x86.c. Since it's assembler code, I don't know how to debug it.
I don't know if anyone here knows about this problem. Could anyone provide some help on this? Thanks gratefully.