Is there a specific name for this kind of ui component? Sometimes it only renders a symbol (without text) so using name like TextComponent is imo not very fitting.

enter image description here

  • 2
    \$\begingroup\$ FloatingTextElement? \$\endgroup\$
    – Krythic
    Nov 18, 2016 at 12:36
  • \$\begingroup\$ Generally attributed to window UI structures, modal may be similar. Not sure if there is an exact name for just smaller UI elements though. \$\endgroup\$
    – lozzajp
    Nov 18, 2016 at 13:35
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ @lozzajp, modal is not relevant because the element does not represents a UI window. \$\endgroup\$
    – Kevin Law
    Nov 18, 2016 at 15:07
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ @KevinLaw windowless modal window with text? I think they are just called floating text, I had a google around for Final Fantasy terms and that seems to be the norm (or floating damage numbers etc.). \$\endgroup\$
    – lozzajp
    Nov 18, 2016 at 15:12
  • \$\begingroup\$ Possible duplicate of What is the name for the little numbers that appear over characters' heads when they lose health? \$\endgroup\$
    – user94185
    Nov 18, 2016 at 17:32

1 Answer 1


Not formally, but I usually see them referred to as "damage floaters." In the occasions where they do not actually convey damage, they're usually called "some other kind of floater," or just "floaters."

Et cetera. You can find several other references via Google searches (I'd recommend you include the term "UI" in the search though; otherwise you tend to get a lot of results about retina detatchment and such, which are decidedly unrelated).

  • \$\begingroup\$ I really like "Floaters". Short, evocative, and unused. \$\endgroup\$
    – Quentin
    Nov 18, 2016 at 18:50

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .