Is there a specific name for this kind of ui component? Sometimes it only renders a symbol (without text) so using name like TextComponent is imo not very fitting.

enter image description here

  • 2
    \$\begingroup\$ FloatingTextElement? \$\endgroup\$ – Krythic Nov 18 '16 at 12:36
  • \$\begingroup\$ Generally attributed to window UI structures, modal may be similar. Not sure if there is an exact name for just smaller UI elements though. \$\endgroup\$ – lozzajp Nov 18 '16 at 13:35
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ @lozzajp, modal is not relevant because the element does not represents a UI window. \$\endgroup\$ – Kevin Law Nov 18 '16 at 15:07
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ @KevinLaw windowless modal window with text? I think they are just called floating text, I had a google around for Final Fantasy terms and that seems to be the norm (or floating damage numbers etc.). \$\endgroup\$ – lozzajp Nov 18 '16 at 15:12
  • \$\begingroup\$ Possible duplicate of What is the name for the little numbers that appear over characters' heads when they lose health? \$\endgroup\$ – user94185 Nov 18 '16 at 17:32

Not formally, but I usually see them referred to as "damage floaters." In the occasions where they do not actually convey damage, they're usually called "some other kind of floater," or just "floaters."

Et cetera. You can find several other references via Google searches (I'd recommend you include the term "UI" in the search though; otherwise you tend to get a lot of results about retina detatchment and such, which are decidedly unrelated).

  • \$\begingroup\$ I really like "Floaters". Short, evocative, and unused. \$\endgroup\$ – Quentin Nov 18 '16 at 18:50

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.