I am currently not in the game development industry and develop my own games using GameMaker, but as a high school student I don't really have the time to make proper titles and actually make money from them. But, I have been thinking. Is there a program/website that, just say you were doing a long distance development with multiple team members in different parts of the world/country, you can upload all your work and with the click of a button anyone else in the "group" automatically downloads it. So for example:
- You are a coder working on the physics engine.
- There is another coder (somewhere else in the world) that is in your group and is programming the player that relies of the physics engine.
- You make a change to the physics engine
- Instead of having to email your partner the updated coding file and him having to download it, you save your file to a program that automatically uploads it to a server
- Every 5 minutes (or whatever) the server checks if either person has uploaded any new files and automatically downloads them and overwrites them
- So in turn your partner stays with continuously updated code and so do you. This could work with any aspect of a game (or any group project).
So is there anything like this? If so, is there a name for it?