Im asking what can i implement in a online multiplayer 2d shooter to make it more interesting the idea i have(i know how to make it) doesn't seem so fun what can i add to a lastman standing 2d shooter game that is not to hard to make in java? I know how to make multiplayer games online.
closed as primarily opinion-based by Philipp, congusbongus, MichaelHouse♦ Aug 4 '15 at 14:06
Many good questions generate some degree of opinion based on expert experience, but answers to this question will tend to be almost entirely based on opinions, rather than facts, references, or specific expertise. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.
- Most games are interesting if you can play them with friends.
- Start simple, go complex. You can make the simplest possible game, and test if your friends like it. I bet they will give you more suggestions.
- KISS principle: keep is simple, stupid (check TeeWorlds for an example). It is much harder to make simple (to play) games, rather than complex and unintuitive games.
- Make it easy to mod/extend your game (not MC-style). Make it possible for your friends add new features/levels/enemies/etc. to the game using a simple editor.
- Make it an MMO (more players->more fun). The only downside is that it need to be over-performant, so it can handle >400 players.
- Add more game-modes, so everyone can play it as xe likes. Maybe most of them can come as mods/plugins.
- Make it a web/HTML5 game. Some people are particularly against downloading any kind of executable content, be it .JAR, .EXE, or whatever. Plus, if you make it a web game, it might be easier to get people check it out. (Counter-example, Minecraft is played by millions, but it is not on the web...)