Im asking what can i implement in a online multiplayer 2d shooter to make it more interesting the idea i have(i know how to make it) doesn't seem so fun what can i add to a lastman standing 2d shooter game that is not to hard to make in java? I know how to make multiplayer games online.
- Most games are interesting if you can play them with friends.
- Start simple, go complex. You can make the simplest possible game, and test if your friends like it. I bet they will give you more suggestions.
- KISS principle: keep is simple, stupid (check TeeWorlds for an example). It is much harder to make simple (to play) games, rather than complex and unintuitive games.
- Make it easy to mod/extend your game (not MC-style). Make it possible for your friends add new features/levels/enemies/etc. to the game using a simple editor.
- Make it an MMO (more players->more fun). The only downside is that it need to be over-performant, so it can handle >400 players.
- Add more game-modes, so everyone can play it as xe likes. Maybe most of them can come as mods/plugins.
- Make it a web/HTML5 game. Some people are particularly against downloading any kind of executable content, be it .JAR, .EXE, or whatever. Plus, if you make it a web game, it might be easier to get people check it out. (Counter-example, Minecraft is played by millions, but it is not on the web...)