I'm a new hobbyist game developer but have yet to come up with something original that I found to be really fun. The hardest part I find about game development is this:
- You have an idea that in your head looks like it would be really fun.
- You build a quick prototype and you realise that in reality its not so much fun for the user.
- You realise that your brain was tricking you by giving you the impression that you had a complete idea but in reality it was skimming over lots of missing details that prevent you from reaching the fun that you envisaged.
- You come up with lots ideas to fill in the missing gaps and hopefully make it fun.
- You try these ideas one by one but it seems none of them really get you to where you wanted.
When do you know to stop trying these ideas and admit the overall game concept sucks? Do you just keep on iterating on them and hope you find the magic formula?
Do people have any rules they follow in this process?