Game Development Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional and independent game developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm looking for a name for my class that manipulates 4x4 matrices that handle position, rotation, and scale. Is there a common word that encompasses all three?

(I'm splitting the matrix math into its own file/class.)

share|improve this question
up vote 22 down vote accepted

transform, or transformation

share|improve this answer

If you add shear to your list (although rarely used in games), it is generally known in mathematics as an affine transformation.

The general term 'transformation' has been mentioned already, is a usually considered a superset and includes projection transformations as well (which are not affine).

share|improve this answer

I've seen PRS used (position, rotation, scale), but "transformation matrix" is a pretty informative name, and also covers other kinds of transformations (skewing etc).

share|improve this answer

I've seen several engines shorten the term to Xform as well.

share|improve this answer

Some variant of Transform or Transformation would work.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.