Game Development Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional and independent game developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

How is it called, what is it used for, and what is the most common way to implement it?

I know these are three question in one, but since the first and second are just one-liners I decided to make them into one.

The following images are two screenshots showing the visual effect; (A) show the zones that are darker and (B) the normal zones

enter image description here

enter image description here

share|improve this question
up vote 7 down vote accepted

Sounds like vignetting effect. You can easily accomplish this with a shader.

share|improve this answer
+1. In the second screenshot, it might also just be a non-uniform lighting effect. Hard to tell with a still image and the cartoonish shading, though. – Ilmari Karonen May 25 '14 at 12:07
@IlmariKaronen It could be the upper half of the vignette too – rraallvv May 25 '14 at 20:00

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.