While developing a small game using tile-mapping method a question came to my mind:
I would develop the game on Windows but wouldn't exclude adapting it to another platform.
What size(in pixels) would you recommend using for creating the tiles of a tile-mapped game(ie: RPG) with the following requirements?
- Have an acceptable level of detail without having too many tiles.
- Having a decent map size.
- Allow adaptation of the game on a handheld(ie: PSP), smartphone or a computer without too much loss of detail or slowdowns.
- Allow more or less important zoom-in / zoom-out.
- Have a resolution of tile that permits either pixel-perfect collision or block-collision.
Anything from a good explanation to a game example is useful as long as it can fit the requirements.
This question may seem a bit simplistic, but I noticed that many Indies game developer were using inappropriate scales scenery.
Also sorry for the poor syntax and the lack of vocabulary of my question, being a non-native English speaker doesn't help when talking about computers programming.