Game Development Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional and independent game developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is this Super Mario shading technique (the edge glow) called? It can best be seen at the legs.

enter image description here

share|improve this question
Turn Fresnel on here – bobobobo Jun 14 '13 at 0:39
up vote 11 down vote accepted

Rim lighting.

Basically you increase the brightness of a surface the more the tangent is pointing away from the camera.

share|improve this answer
Beaten... by 15 seconds, ha! – Vaughan Hilts Jun 13 '13 at 22:58

Looks to me to either be the Fresnel Falloff shader effect or some variant of a Rim Lighting. The pixels near the edges appear to be just brightened. You can see a similar effect described here.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.