Let's say I have a game that uses WASD controls on a QWERTY layout. Trying to use these controls on, say, a Dvorak layout is not ideal (equivalent to
<A:H on QWERTY). Obviously, I'd want to use the same physical keys as QWERTY would use (
,aoe on DVORAK).
I've come up with a few possible solutions:
- Force the user to use QWERTY
- obviously not ideal, especially for international users
- Change shortcuts based on keyboard layout (WASD -> ,aoe)
- forces me to make layout maps for each supported layout (automatable)
- easiest for the user if there are more shortcuts than just WASD
- Force the user to define shortcuts themselves
- More flexible
- Annoying if there are lots of shortcuts
- Can be used in conjunction with the second option
- Use hardware keycodes
- consistent across keyboards?
How is this type of thing usually handled?