I'm interested in adding to my game either recorded human or synthesized speech. I'm interested in what game devs have to say regarding the value of recorded human voice over voice synthesis. Thanks in advance!
Points to consider:
- EDIT: First and foremost, the game is meant for kids (i.e. when you see an image of an apple, a voice says "a is for apple") - here it is on Appbrain (currently sans audio...)
- I searched the responses for Is it worthwhile recording your own or buying stock sound effects? - I'm basically wondering the same thing but for voice-specific audio.
- Do you find value or any benefit in opting for recorded human voice?
- What are some good voice synthesis or text-to-speech tools (preferably free)? I'm currently trying out Fruity Loops, which seems to get the job done (I input a phrase and it generates synthesized speech) however some words do not sound as realistic/convincing as others.
- The platform is Android (i.e. memory constraints).