Game Development Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional and independent game developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I guess the "vertical angle" of looking in an FPS could be called the pitch of the camera, but surely there is another term for it?

(I'm trying to mod ArmA II, but I can't find anything in their documentation and forums about the camera pitch or whatnot. The ArmA people call the horizontal angle "direction.")

share|improve this question

migrated from Jan 4 '13 at 17:01

This question came from our site for passionate videogamers on all platforms.

"pitch" is the correct term. In ArmA II, I believe you have to set the camera's "target" instead of the pitch/roll/yaw - the two points of the camera's location and its target determine the orientation. – agent86 Jan 4 '13 at 15:32
It is also called y-axis. – SaintWacko Jan 4 '13 at 16:55
well I think of "pitch" as rotation around the x-axis, and rotation around y is "yaw". – jhocking Jan 4 '13 at 17:24
up vote 3 down vote accepted

The typical term for this is indeed "pitch," but that doesn't mean that all games will use that term explicitly, which may be why you can't find it.

Sometimes you'll also hear "angle of attack" although the latter does have a more specific meaning and is often abused.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.