*Solution:* I have a RealTek ALC888. I solved this (OpenAL) by disabling hardware acceleration on my sound (Control Panel > Sound > Advanced, disable acceleration).
I'm trying to integrate sound into my Monogame game. I don't have the content pipeline hack -- just straight Monogame (Beta 3) at this point.
(I tried adding the content pipeline, but ran into some issues.)
I added a .wav file to my
/Content directory, and I can create and instantiate both
Song classes. However, both show durations of
00:00:00 (on a ten-second long file), and neither plays.
I can call
LoadContent without any issue. But when I call
Play, nothing plays.
I've tried a couple of different sounds, and different formats (MP3 and WAV) to rule that out. Only WAV seems to even load without crashing out, but it doesn't play.
This issue only occurs on Windows XP. I tested it on a Windows 7 laptop, and the sound plays fine.
Edit: I opened a MonoGame issue to track this, and it includes several more details.