I want to create a customized (modded) fps game where I can change the look and feel of the game to match my intended theme.
Some of the things I would like to do:
- Create a custom map (terrain).
- Add custom sound effects
- Change AI (For example, running away instead of actively looking for combat).
- Change menus and add some storyboard.
- Script events in game (like a countdown until game over)
- Change the models of the NPC's.
What options do I have? Is there any platform/game/engine/whatever that allows one to do the things above in a reasonable way?
I work as a programmer so I'm not afraid of coding some part of the project, but to save time it would be nice to work in some high-level way (like scripting or configuration files).