Game Development Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional and independent game developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top know the ones. Something like "value overlays" or "value pop-ups" describes them quite well, but I was thinking they might have a real name?

share|improve this question
up vote 5 down vote accepted

"Floating text" does it for me. That's what I've always called it, although I've never used it specifically for indicating damage done. My usage was usually to indicate where something important in the scene was (e.g. "retrieve this data disk").

share|improve this answer

In WoW terms the most popular addon is called Scrolling Combat Text, which I think describes it pretty well.

When I've written my own implementations I use the more general "Floating Game Text".

share|improve this answer

I think our term was "Damage floaters".

share|improve this answer
"Damage float(er)s" for damage and combat-related text (e.g. "Dodge!" "Critical!"). "Reticle" for the other stuff around a mob, e.g. name and health bar. "Floating/floater text" (by the design team) or "notifications" (in code) for the stuff that pops into the middle of the screen in a similar way. – user744 Aug 24 '10 at 19:17
(Wait, "was"? If Alex already rewrote that he'd better explain. :) – user744 Aug 24 '10 at 19:18
Past tense for me since I don't have to care anymore :-P – coderanger Aug 24 '10 at 19:51
"Damage Floaters" sounds like the morning after a rather hot curry. – Skizz Aug 24 '10 at 22:21

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.