I have an idea on a game and planning on developing a 2D game using XNA for Windows Phone 7.
I've started off today by free hand drawing some concept art of what I want some of the characters to looks like. Now the problem is taking those concepts and putting them in digital form.
The first thing I realized I really don't know the different parts of game art. I know there are sprites, textures and animation but that is about it. I think textures are sprites on a 3D object but not sure if that is correct? Here are some general questions about game art I have:
- Do you use textures in 2D games?
- Where do you apply the different parts of game art? For example when you use sprites vs animation.
- What are the difference between sprites, textures animation and other art?
- Are sprites, textures and animation the only art elements to a game?
- Is all 2D art in games considered sprites? Characters, background, etc.
- What size do you make your sprite sheets and each character in a sprite sheet?
- Any good books or tutorials on teaching to draw art from a digital prospective? I was thinking about getting "GIMP Bible", however most books like this teach more photo editing than digital drawing.
My objective is learn how to take my concept art(backgrounds and characters) and put them into digital form using Gimp and learning about the different parts of game art.
Anyway, thanks to anyone that can help.