Game Development Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional and independent game developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

When UV Mapping a polygon/texture, is there name that describes a single polygon on the texture.

Does this name differentiate if from the same geometry once it has been mapped to a face?

Would sometime like "UV Tile" or "UV Face" be clear?

share|improve this question
I haven't heard of such a naming because the UV(W) coords are contained in the polygon definition, and multiple polygons can overlap and share source areas on a texture so it would get real confusing real fast. – Patrick Hughes Feb 13 '12 at 22:42
In DirectX-terms it's "PositionTextured". – Jonathan Dickinson Feb 14 '12 at 18:49
up vote 1 down vote accepted

I'd say it's a "UV-mapped triangle" or "UV-mapped quad". Or simply a "polygon with UV coordinates". I guess it's also fine to just call it the same as the geometry.. eg. UVs of a triangle, quad or polygon. There are some names that are introduced in UV mapping, such as "patches", "shells" or "islands", which are all names for a group of connected UV coordinates though.

A polygon doesn't get a new name once it has been UV mapped, it just gets some additional UV coordinates. So it really isn't a "UV Tile".. generally you just talk about UVs (the "vertices") and "shells" or "islands" (connected UVs). If you select a polygon within UV editing, you just select and modify a bunch of UVs...

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.