(NOTE: This is a duplicate of a question I asked on SO, having temporarily forgotten about GameDev <hang head in shame>. When one is answered, I will link it back to the other.)
I'm trying to do my first client/server game using Google Apps Engine as my back end (specification requirement.) I've done the tutorials (Java), but that all seems highly browser-centric.
Basically, I'd like my (mobile, not that it matters) app to:
- Allow the user to create a game-account (NOT their Google account!)
- Log-in with that account.
- Press the "MARCO" button to send an account-identified request to the server.
- Get a "POLO" response from the server.
- As data (like a JSON object, XML-DOM or similar), not as a web-page.
Can anyone point me to a good tutorial/sample project/detailed reading to help me achieve that? I'm pretty sure that, once I get that working, I can do all the rest of it -- but I'm having the "stuck at the starting gate" problem, not being able to work up basic account-login, and non-HTML data exchange.