I was thinking about a game engine development, I understand as engine the main program that can develope next duties:
- Receives parameters.
- calculates what is needed.
- Delivers results.
As an example lets say I'm writing an sports game, so I was thinking that instead of starting with something big I could start with a very small objectives and always (now not even thinking in graphics management so maybe I could be speaking about a simulation and not yet even about a game) just getting data result through the shell.
What about next steps?
- Develop an script which gets all the data stored in a database and after calculating everything based on that data it releases the result of the match or race.
- Get more in detail and a part of calculating the result it delivers too details through the match or race (not jet in real time).
- In that third stage what it happens is that the program will temporize the details and final result progress in real time through the shell delivering messages before the final result.
- Though the real time data delivering the user will be available to interact introducing parameters when is asked.
Many thanks I hope it gets your interest, I'm just trying to clarify the process and catch advice and suggestions from experienced people.