I am working on translating an old RTS game engine I wrote from DirectX9 to XNA. My old models didn't have animation & are an old format, so I'm trying with an FBX file. I temporarily "borrowed" a model from League of Legends just to test if my rendering is working correctly.
I imported the mesh/bones/skin/animation into Maya 2012 using an "unnamed" 3rd-party import tool. (obviously I'll have to get legit models later, but I just want to test if my programming is correct). Everything looks correct in maya and it renders the animations flawlessly.
I exported everything into a single FBX file (with only a single animation). I then tried to load this model using the example at the following site: http://create.msdn.com/en-US/education/catalog/sample/skinned_model
With my exported FBX, the animation looks correct for most of the frames, however at random times it screws up for a split second. Basically, the body/arms/head will look right, but the leg/foot will shoot out to a random point in space for a second & then go back to the normal position. The original FBX from the sample looks correct in my program.
It seems odd that my model was imported into maya wrong, since it displays fine in Maya. So, I'm thinking either I'm exporting it wrong, or the sample code is bad & the model from the sample caters to the samples bad code.
I'm new to 3D programming & maya, so chances are I'm doing something wrong in the export. I'm using mostly the defaults, but I've tried all 3 interpolation modes (quaternion, euler, resample).