I posted a similar question on the Programmers SE site. Please read it. I want to know what specific things I can do to help me create games faster.
Already, in addition to whatever I wrote there, I am:
- Creating reusable libraries on top of existing engines that I'm using
- Creating reusable assets (graphics, sounds, icons)
- Finding sites where I can find assets quickly (graphics, sounds, icons)
- Using game engines instead of writing code from scratch
- Using agile so my game is customer-focused and gets results
- Biting off small games (like a vanilla rogue-like)
I feel it's not enough; I'm taking far too long to make games. A simple chemistry puzzle game, for example, took nearly 40 hours -- and that's with only half-decent graphics.
What are your recommendations? How can I get better and faster?