What topics can I ask about here?
Game Development Stack Exchange is for professional and amateur video/computer game developers. If you have a question relating to ...
- game design (level design, gameplay, mechanics, etc)
- asset pipelines (creation, storage, editing, etc)
- game-specific programming issues (engine architecture, game-related APIs, networking, tools, etc)
- project management (testing, team management, scheduling, publishing, etc)
- game industry (careers, trends, technology, etc)
and it is not about...
- how to get started making a game
- what language/engine/SDK you should learn
- where free assets can be found
- which technology is better
- which technology to use for your game idea
- what technology some particular game used
- how a specific game implemented a specific feature
- how to make (or start making) a particular type of game
Then you are likely in the right place.
General programming questions more likely belong on Stack Overflow instead of here. A good rule of thumb is to ask yourself...
Would a professional game developer give me a better/different/more specific answer to this question than other programmers?
If yes, then feel free to ask it here. For more discussion on that topic, see this question on our meta site.
What about subjective questions?
Subjective questions are allowed, but subjective does not mean "anything goes". Please keep it professional at all times. If this is a question you'd be uncomfortable discussing with your colleagues in a work environment, it's probably not appropriate here, either.
All subjective questions are expected to be constructive. How do we define that? Constructive subjective questions...
- inspire answers that explain “why” and “how”.
- tend to have long, not short, answers.
- have a constructive, fair, and impartial tone.
- invite sharing experiences over opinions.
- insist that opinion be backed up with facts and references.
- are more than just mindless social fun.
Questions that do not meet enough of these six guidelines will be closed as "Not Constructive". Please see the Good Subjective, Bad Subjective and Real Questions Have Answers blog posts for more details and examples.
For more help, see "What types of questions should I avoid asking?"
Where can I ask subjective, discussion, and other questions not fit for this site?
- Our chat room
- Did you already search with your favorite search engine to see if your question has been asked/answered elsewhere?
- Are you simply looking for someone to make a decision for you? Are you suffering from analysis paralysis? Just make a choice and go with it, see where it takes you. Or perhaps you could roll some dice or flip a coin.
If your question is not specifically on-topic for Game Development Stack Exchange, it may be on topic for another Stack Exchange site. If no site currently exists that will accept your question, you may commit to or propose a new site at Area 51, the place where new Stack Exchange communities are democratically created.